Process Modeling Engine
SEMulator3D emulates physical process steps using parameterized geometric modeling algorithms. Working from a large library of standard process steps, SEMulator3D models a wide variety of physical effects and almost any process that is based on lithography. Examples of process steps and phenomena modeled with SEMulator3D include:
|Lithography, including basic diffraction emulationPlanarization, including CMP dishingImplant
The SEMulator3D modeling engine is based on unique voxel modeling technology. Voxels are like 3D pixels filled with one or more materials (similar to the RGB colors in a pixel) that enable SEMulator3D to model arbitrary geometric shapes with unmatched fidelity. SEMulator3D uses proprietary acceleration and compression techniques to maximize efficiency and model structures that are significantly larger than standard TCAD tools can handle.
SEMulator3D Process Editor
The SEMulator3D Process Editor makes it easy to create and manage an entire process sequence. Process parameters are entered for each process step. Because each process step is parameterized, changing an etch depth or deposit thickness is as simple as changing a single number. Process description files created with the process editor can be reused with any layout.
The feature-rich SEMulator3D Viewer is used to view and post-process device models in three dimensions. Processes can be visualized step-by-step using the device models that are saved after each step in the process sequence.
SEMulator3D Viewer features:
- Hide selected materials to see inside
- Create cross sections at any desired location
- Show connectivity of electrical nets
or mechanical components
- Easily take measurements
- Animate the process sequence or
create other animations
(fly-through, cross-section, etc)
- Store and recall favorite viewing locations (cameras)
- View and edit process comments
- Generate screenshot documents or automatically export PowerPoint slides
- Export models to the SEMulator3D Reader
SEMulator3D leverages unique geometry generation capabilities to create meshes suitable for multi-physics simulations.
Mesh generation features:
- Automatic surface and volume mesh generation
- Both global and local element size control
- Control curvature refinement and element growth rates
- Generate parabolic or linear elements
- Export meshes in a variety of standard formats (STL, OBJ, UNV, Ansys Prep7)
- Perform simulations with the CoventorWare suite of multi-physics solvers
SEMulator3D provides a suite of easy-to-use tools that perform a variety of layout tasks. The full-featured layout editor is used to view or edit layout files, perform layout DRC checks, or generate parametric layout. SEMulator3D also interfaces directly with Cadence Virtuoso layout tools automatically extracting layout files via the Cadence Virtuoso Bridge. For users who prefer other layout tools, SEMulator3D can also build models directly from GDSII layout files. A GDS extraction tool reduces the size of layout files by extracting small sections from the larger layout file.
Advanced Features and Scripting
SEMulator3D is fully accessible via a Python language scripting interface. It allows users to build advanced 3D models, implement custom process modeling steps, or integrate SEMulator3D with existing IT infrastructure or process database software.
Scripting interface features:
- Model the effects of process sequence defects
- Perform 3D DRCs on devices
- Conduct automated process parameter studies
- Investigate mask misalignment effects